Monday, June 20, 2011

How to use Photoshop for Paintings


Although I'm no 'expert', in this week's class I'll show you how I use Photoshop Elements (PSE) to prepare photographs as resources for paintings. So often a photograph is unsatisfactory and we start making plans to change things when we paint it, but those pesky pictures can become so domineering that it's hard to escape them sometimes. The 'autopilot' function of painting in the right brain takes over and we end up painting more of what's there than we wanted to. 

Photoshop is a great means of changing the photo to match your vision, as well as allowing you to explore different options using the many tools you have available, whether it's merely cropping the image or making it into a whole different world. I'll show you how I use PSE's many simple functions to change and rearrange things. 

This is a survey class, meant to help you understand what each tool does and show you the possibilities. Bring your notebook and pen (but please leave the laptop at home.) You'll end up with a series of several steps that will get you to the place where you can explore on your own, without fear of losing everything. I use Photoshop Elements 2.0. The tools I utilize are commonly available in Photoshop, no matter the version, so you should be able to adapt what I do. 

The space available at my computer is quite small, and class is limited to only five students. This class is filled already, but I will repeat it from time to time. If there's enough interest, I'll add advanced sections to the classes to show you even more of the features of the program and help hone your skills. 

Class is from 11:30 to 2:30. Bring your sack lunch. I'll have iced tea and coffee available. The lecture portion is approximately 2 hours, with Q&A follow-up. I'll send direction to my home in Taylor Ranch to those already enrolled.

See (some of) you on Thursday,
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment